4 Things Executives Do Differently Under PressureYou know those executives who seem unfazed no matter what leadership throws their way? The ones who answer calmly, who seem to have the prefect answer to every question? They learned how to show up that way. Staying composed requires two things: Identifying the trigger (that fight or flight feeling), and controlling your reaction. You can probably feel when the pressure raises and you are about to lose your cool. When that happens your job is to stop, and intentionally chose one of the responses below. This is how the best executives do it. 1. They Pause Before They RespondWhen someone challenges you, the natural instinct is to answer immediately. You want to prove you know. You want to show you were prepared. You want to make the discomfort go away as quickly as possible. But speed is not always your friend. When you respond too quickly, you are more likely to answer the wrong question, say too much, or sound defensive before you even realize what is happening. Executives know how to pause. Not for dramatic effect. This is not a Netflix boardroom scene. They pause because it gives them a second to think, regulate, and choose the right response. That pause communicates something important: I can handle this. Here are a few ways this can sound: “Let me think about the best way to frame this.” “That’s a fair question.” “I want to make sure I’m answering the real concern.” “Before I respond, can I clarify what part you’re pushing on?” A pause may feel awkward at first because many high performers are used to equating speed with competence. But at senior levels, the fastest answer is not always the strongest answer. Sometimes the most executive thing you can do is take a breath before you speak. 2. They Clarify Before They ReactPush back isn’t always bad. It feels personal in the moment, but sometimes it’s just about gaining clarity or pressure testing risks before committing. If you treat every challenge like an attack, you will respond defensively. And once you get defensive, you lose the room. The executive move is to clarify the concern before you respond to it. Instead of assuming you know what they are asking, slow the conversation down enough to understand what is really happening. You can say: “Are you concerned about the timeline, the investment, or the customer impact?” “Is your hesitation about the recommendation itself or the risk of moving too quickly?” “Are you asking for more detail, or are you seeing a different path?” “Can I clarify whether you’re pushing on the data, the assumption, or the recommendation?” This does two things. First, it helps you answer the actual question. Second, it shows the room that you can stay steady when challenged. You are not reacting. You are leading the conversation. That is executive behavior. 3. They Say “I Don’t Know” With ConfidenceA lot of people think executive presence means always having the answer. It does not. In fact, trying to have an answer when you do not have one is one of the fastest ways to lose credibility. You start guessing. You add qualifiers. You talk in circles. and instead of sounding confident, you sound insecure. Executives do not pretend to know everything. They know how to name what they know, what they do not know yet, and what they are going to do next. Here’s what it can sound like: “I don’t have that number in front of me, but I can get it to you by Friday.” “We have not looked at that metric yet. Based on what we do know, the direction is positive, but let me confirm and circle back”. “That’s a good question. I don’t have the full answer yet, but here’s what I do know, here’s what I’m still validating, and here’s when I’ll come back with a recommendation.” That is confidence. Not because you know everything, but because you are not pretending. You are giving the room clarity instead of noise. A clear “I don’t know yet” is stronger than a messy answer pretending to be certainty. 4. They Handle Pushback With ConvictionThis is the part that really shows your executive presence. Because when your recommendation gets challenged, you have a choice. You can defend it like your ego is on trial. You can abandon it because someone senior disagreed. Or you can stay steady, listen to the concern, and respond with conviction. Conviction does not mean being rigid or assuming you are right and they are wrong. It does not mean you can’t take feedback. Conviction means you can explain your judgment clearly, hold the tradeoff, and adjust when there is better information. That is what executives do. They expect their ideas to be pressure-tested. They do not interpret every hard question as a personal attack. They understand that in senior rooms, challenge is part of how decisions get better. Here are a few ways to respond: “I agree that’s a real risk. The reason I still recommend this path is…” “That’s a valid concern. My judgment is that the risk of waiting is higher than the risk of moving forward.” “I’m open to adjusting the approach while keeping the main goal.” “I would still recommend we move forward, but I would add one checkpoint before the final rollout.” Notice what is happening in these responses. You are acknowledging the concern and bringing the conversation back to your judgment. Right or wrong, that is what senior leaders want to see. Not perfection. Judgment. Confidence Under Pressure is a SkillWhen I look back at the difference between how I handled pushback earlier in my career and how I handled it as a VP, the biggest shift was not that I suddenly became fearless. The shift was that I no longer treated pressure as proof that I was failing. I treated it as part of the job. That changed how I showed up. I could stay grounded enough to think, ask better questions, answer more clearly, and say “I don’t know yet” without losing credibility. I could hold a recommendation without making it about my ego. That is what confidence under pressure really looks like. It is the ability to stay steady when the room gets tense and help everyone else think more clearly. |
No comments:
Post a Comment